Common Methods of Evading Accurate Drug Tests Results
First Check® Home Drug Tests are highly accurate in
detecting drug use but can only work effectively when the urine
samples they test have not been tampered with or the person taking
the test has not purposely attempted to evade a positive test
result. There are several common methods that are used to avoid
positive detection on a urine drug test. Of course, the only way to
guarantee that a drug test will be negative is to not use any
Below are the four most common methods used
to evade a urine drug test.
- When a tester drinks large amounts of water (at
least one gallon) before taking a drug test, urine becomes diluted
and metabolites from drugs may become undetectable.
- If the first round of results is inconclusive
and a second test is necessary, more time will have passed and
detectable quantities of drugs may have naturally passed through
- Other methods for diluting the urine include
adding a drop of water to the sample. However, whether it has been
ingested or added to a sample, water can make urine look extremely
pale and may raise red flags indicating that the sample has been
- Cleansing Products
- There are an increasing number of products sold
that claim to “cleanse the body of toxins” and specifically claim
to mask illicit drugs in the system.
- These formulated “detox” drinks are sold at
local nutritional supplement stores and are widely available
- They contain ingredients such as filtered water,
fructose, maltodextrin, citric acid, potassium citrate, potassium
benzoate, ascorbic acid, red 40, riboflavin, and more.
- They work by masking the drug metabolites found
in the urine. There is often a limited amount of time that these
products can effectively conceal drug use (i.e., 3 to 4 hours)
- Some of the most common agents that are added to
a urine sample include bleach, eyedrops, hand soap, vinegar, table
salt, and lemon juice.
- These chemicals can be easily concealed in small
vials and are usually added to the sample when individuals are
taking the test unsupervised.
- Synthetic Urine
- Another common method for concealing drug use is
to substitute “clean” urine that does not have any trace of illicit
drugs for the urine that does contain drug metabolites.
- This can be accomplished by asking a friend for
a clean sample or by purchasing a clean sample online. (The
clean urine is usually refrigerated and the temperature is a clear
sign that the sample is not valid.)